BJP refuses to comment on Land Acquisition Bill
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has refused to comment on the Land Acquisition Bill, saying it would react only after assessing the entire draft Bill.
"The BJP would like to safeguard the interest of farmers and also ensure development of the country, but doesn`t want crony capitalism to grow. And that is why we will definitely want to see the fine print of the bill and will give our structured response thereafter,`` said BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.
A Group of Ministers (GoM) had on Tuesday cleared the long-delayed Land Acquisition Bill, paving the way for its introduction in Parliament in the forthcoming Winter Session.
The final draft of the bill now proposes consent of two-third of "land losers" for acquiring land for public-private-partnership and private projects.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar who heads the GoM, said fertile land could be taken away from the farmers only for projects related to national importance such as defence and similar entities.
"We are against acquisition of fertile land. But we have made exception for the projects related to national importance such as defence and others,`` he said.
He also mentioned that the government can acquire land only after two thirds of the people affected by a project agree to sell and the state government will decide on a compensation package, which would be several times over the prevailing market value.
"We have suggested higher compensation than what was given so far. We have suggested that state government should have final authority to decide compensation package because different conditions prevail in different states," added Pawar.
He further said that the government can also obtain land for public purpose such as the building of roads, hospitals, school, housing projects only after rehabilitation and hefty compensation to the affected families.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case