BJP retains Dasuya seat in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: BJP on Saturday got a landslide victory in the by-election to Dasuya state Assembly segment and retained the seat.
BJP candidate Sukhjit Kaur Sahi defeated her nearest Congress rival Arun Dogra by a margin of 47,431 votes.
Sahi, wife of late Punjab Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi, has secured 77,494 votes out of the total 1,12,706 polled votes.
Dogra got 30,063 votes, while PPP candidate Bhupinder Singh secured 5,149 votes, Returning Officer said.
Dasuya by-election was necessitated following the death of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi (BJP) who had consecutively won this seat twice by defeating Congress stalwart and former minister Romesh Chander Dogra.
The polling was held on July 11.
With this victory, BJP`s position in the 117-member Punjab Assembly remained same with 12 seats, its ally SAD 56, Congress 46 and three independents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima