BJP retains Dasuya seat in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: BJP on Saturday got a landslide victory in the by-election to Dasuya state Assembly segment and retained the seat.
BJP candidate Sukhjit Kaur Sahi defeated her nearest Congress rival Arun Dogra by a margin of 47,431 votes.
Sahi, wife of late Punjab Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi, has secured 77,494 votes out of the total 1,12,706 polled votes.
Dogra got 30,063 votes, while PPP candidate Bhupinder Singh secured 5,149 votes, Returning Officer said.
Dasuya by-election was necessitated following the death of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi (BJP) who had consecutively won this seat twice by defeating Congress stalwart and former minister Romesh Chander Dogra.
The polling was held on July 11.
With this victory, BJP`s position in the 117-member Punjab Assembly remained same with 12 seats, its ally SAD 56, Congress 46 and three independents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon
- Southwest monsoon progresses in Gujarat