BJP retains Dasuya seat in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: BJP on Saturday got a landslide victory in the by-election to Dasuya state Assembly segment and retained the seat.
BJP candidate Sukhjit Kaur Sahi defeated her nearest Congress rival Arun Dogra by a margin of 47,431 votes.
Sahi, wife of late Punjab Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi, has secured 77,494 votes out of the total 1,12,706 polled votes.
Dogra got 30,063 votes, while PPP candidate Bhupinder Singh secured 5,149 votes, Returning Officer said.
Dasuya by-election was necessitated following the death of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi (BJP) who had consecutively won this seat twice by defeating Congress stalwart and former minister Romesh Chander Dogra.
The polling was held on July 11.
With this victory, BJP`s position in the 117-member Punjab Assembly remained same with 12 seats, its ally SAD 56, Congress 46 and three independents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan