BJP retains Dasuya seat in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: BJP on Saturday got a landslide victory in the by-election to Dasuya state Assembly segment and retained the seat.
BJP candidate Sukhjit Kaur Sahi defeated her nearest Congress rival Arun Dogra by a margin of 47,431 votes.
Sahi, wife of late Punjab Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi, has secured 77,494 votes out of the total 1,12,706 polled votes.
Dogra got 30,063 votes, while PPP candidate Bhupinder Singh secured 5,149 votes, Returning Officer said.
Dasuya by-election was necessitated following the death of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Amarjit Singh Sahi (BJP) who had consecutively won this seat twice by defeating Congress stalwart and former minister Romesh Chander Dogra.
The polling was held on July 11.
With this victory, BJP`s position in the 117-member Punjab Assembly remained same with 12 seats, its ally SAD 56, Congress 46 and three independents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video