BJP, RSS would be non-existent if Patel was first PM: Digvijay
Bhopal: Taking a dig at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s remarks on Sardar Vallabhai Patel, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said if the `Iron Man` had become the nation`s first Prime Minister, then both the BJP and RSS would have been non-existent today.
"There is no doubt in my mind that the BJP and RSS would not have been there if Patel had become the Prime Minister in place of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru," Singh told reporters at the Raja Bhoj airport here Tuesday night after Modi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh took potshots at each other`s parties in Ahmedabad over the legacy of Patel, the country`s first home minister.
"Modi must keep in mind that it was he (Patel) who had banned the RSS for inciting communal violence," he said.
Yesterday, the function to mark the inauguration of the renovated Sardar Patel Museum in Ahmedabad virtually turned into a verbal duel between the PM and BJP`s prime ministerial contender, when Modi said that India`s "fate and face" would have been different had Patel been its first Prime Minister.
"The country will always have one complaint, every Indian will always regret and feel the pain...Had Sardar Saheb been our first prime minister, the country`s fate would have been different, the country`s face would have been different," Modi said.
Digvijay also dismissed all those surveys which were predicting a BJP win in Madhya Pradesh Assembly elections next month.
"All of it should be torn off and put into a waste-paper bakset," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31