BJP says coal scam `monumental`, targets PM in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Main opposition BJP on Monday once again targeted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Rajya Sabha on missing files pertaining to coal mines allocation, saying the scam is "monumental" and demanded that he clarify on it.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prakash Javadekar (BJP) said two days back the Prime Minister said he was not the custodian of files whereas the Opposition believed "he is not only the custodian of files but also the custodian of the nation but not performing both the tasks well."
"It is a monumental scam and occurred when the Prime Minister was the Coal Minister...PM should give a statement on this," Javadekar said, demanding to know whether any FIR was lodged in the missing files issue despite the Supreme Court asking for it.
Amid attack over missing files pertaining to allocation of coal mines, Prime Minister had on August 30 said in Rajya Sabha, "I am not the custodian of files in the Coal Ministry."
Dissatisfied with the reply, Javadekar launched a scathing attack on the government saying it "is doing a massive cover up" and sought PM`s statement on it.
He said unfortunately the Committee, formed by Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal included a Joint Secretary level officer who is charged with changing the files with the CBI.
This is like handing over the keys of the treasury to the accused, Javadekar said adding, "CBI as well as the Coal Ministry has said before PAC (Public Accounts Committee) that all important files are missing...We demand don`t keep such people who were instrumental in changing the files."
As he said that the scam has "smeared the face of the government" and continued to target PM, members from treasury benches countered him while BJP members shouted "shame-shame".
Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) joined Javadekar saying, "There was a discussion on it but PM`s clarifications are pending. This is a monumental scam."
Prasad said the Prime Minister should make a statement, which saw Minister of State Rajeev Shukla as well as some Congress members retorting that Singh has already replied twice on the issue.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien interrupted saying, "It is not the fault of the PM. PM had come."
However, BJP members kept shouting slogans like "PM jawab do" (PM reply) with Purushottam Khodabhia Rupala saying the party will continue to raise the issue of missing files till the time they were recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation