BJP says Maran action simple case of ‘bribery’
Lucknow: BJP on Thursday dismissed Textiles
Minister Dayanidhi Maran`s explanation on pay-offs to family-
owned Sun TV Network and alleged that it was a simple case of
"bribery and quid pro quo" as he gave licenses and allotted
spectrum to Aircel in 2007 at 2001 rates.
"Dayanidhi Maran`s alibi that investment by Maxis
company of Malaysia in Sun Direct TV after he ceased to be the
Telecom Minister is all humbug.
"The Economic Investment Committee of the Cabinet,
which is empowered to deal with foreign investment, had given
permission to invest in February 2007 itself when Maran was
Minister," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told
He alleged that Maran gave licenses and more
spectrum to Aircel at give-away prices.
"The bigger question here which Maran should address
is at what rates were new licenses given. As far as we are
informed, Aircel was given licenses for 14 new areas and also
additional spectrum in 2007 at 2001 rates though now the
teledensity was very high. This is a case of bribery
and quid pro quo," Prasad said.
The opposition also asked Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to break his silence on the issue and ensure a fair CBI
"The Prime Minister has not spoken for the last three
days. He should not repeat his mistake. Earlier, he had sought
to defend A Raja saying he was innocent. Now he is in jail.
Please speak up.
"Ensure a fair CBI investigation into this case
otherwise the country will have to draw the conclusion that
Manmohan Singh only defends the corrupt," Prasad said.
Maran had yesterday said he had not favoured any
particular company in granting UASL licence when he was
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged