BJP says Maran action simple case of ‘bribery’
Lucknow: BJP on Thursday dismissed Textiles
Minister Dayanidhi Maran`s explanation on pay-offs to family-
owned Sun TV Network and alleged that it was a simple case of
"bribery and quid pro quo" as he gave licenses and allotted
spectrum to Aircel in 2007 at 2001 rates.
"Dayanidhi Maran`s alibi that investment by Maxis
company of Malaysia in Sun Direct TV after he ceased to be the
Telecom Minister is all humbug.
"The Economic Investment Committee of the Cabinet,
which is empowered to deal with foreign investment, had given
permission to invest in February 2007 itself when Maran was
Minister," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told
He alleged that Maran gave licenses and more
spectrum to Aircel at give-away prices.
"The bigger question here which Maran should address
is at what rates were new licenses given. As far as we are
informed, Aircel was given licenses for 14 new areas and also
additional spectrum in 2007 at 2001 rates though now the
teledensity was very high. This is a case of bribery
and quid pro quo," Prasad said.
The opposition also asked Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to break his silence on the issue and ensure a fair CBI
"The Prime Minister has not spoken for the last three
days. He should not repeat his mistake. Earlier, he had sought
to defend A Raja saying he was innocent. Now he is in jail.
Please speak up.
"Ensure a fair CBI investigation into this case
otherwise the country will have to draw the conclusion that
Manmohan Singh only defends the corrupt," Prasad said.
Maran had yesterday said he had not favoured any
particular company in granting UASL licence when he was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview