BJP says no softening on Article 370 but backs Narendra Modi on debate
New Delhi: BJP on day rejected claims of "softening" its stand on Article 370 and said it stood firm on its demand that the provision giving special status to Jammu and Kashmir should be abrogated.
Supporting Narendra Modi`s demand for a "rational" debate on Article 370, Leaders of Opposition in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj said the party has not softened on the issue and Modi has only said what Shyama Prasad Mukherjee had earlier stated.
"It would be incorrect for anyone to interpret BJP`s challenge for a debate on this issue as a softening of stand on Article 370," Jaitley said.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said, "Modi has asked what have been the benefits of Article 370. This is not being soft on the issue. Modi questioned whether there has been any gain from Article 370 and that this issue should be debated."
The Gujarat Chief Minister, who triggered a political row by seeking a debate on Article 370 questioning what benefits it has given to the state and its people, sought to shift the focus, saying he demands a "rational" debate on it and other issues including suffering of Kashmiri pandits.
"We need rational & focused debate not only on 370 but other issues relating to J&K, including suffering of sections of J&K society," Modi said on Twitter.
Seeking to take credit for raising the issue, he said, "Glad that after my call for a debate on Article 370, it is being widely debated among people & across TV, social media."
BJP had appeared to soften its stand for scrapping Article 370 of the Constitution that gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir with Modi saying there should be at least a debate on whether or not it has benefited the state.
Addressing a rally in Jammu yesterday, Modi said his party wanted a discussion on various aspects of the constitutional provision.
The views of Modi and BJP Chief Rajnath Singh were seen as a departure from BJP`s position seeking complete abrogation of Article 370.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org