BJP says Rahul`s elevation in Congress poses no challenge to it
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday said the elevation of Rahul Gandhi to the number two position in Congress poses no challenges to it.
"This announcement of Rahul Gandhi becoming number two of Congress has not come as a surprise. He was already number two after Sonia Gandhi. He was not number three who has been elevated to number two. Only a member of Nehru-Gandhi family can be number two," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
Congress announced today that the Congress Working Committee has unanimously supported a resolution moved by AK Antony to make Rahul Gandhi Vice President of the party.
"This decision will not bring any gains to Congress. He does not pose a challenge to BJP even if he becomes President of Congress. Congress has no future," Hussain claimed.
Another party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said though this decision is entirely of Congress and is an internal matter of that party, it will not have much political impact.
"If Congress thinks the elevation of Rahul Gandhi will give a boost to the party`s future prospects, then it is highly mistaken. People will judge Congress as well as Rahul Gandhi by their performance in the last nine years that the party has been in power," Prasad said.
He maintained people will look at Rahul Gandhi`s track record as an MP and a campaigner of Congress before taking any decision.
Another BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said the whole country knows Congress is a one-family party and has always had dynastic leadership since independence.
"This development may excite Congress but does not excite the people of this country," he said.
Asked if Gandhi`s elevation poses a challenge to BJP, he said "absolutely not. Changing a nomenclature does not change the situation on the ground."
Another spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the people still do not know what Rahul Gandhi`s views are on the Delhi gangrape and other crucial issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez