BJP says Rahul`s elevation in Congress poses no challenge to it
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday said the elevation of Rahul Gandhi to the number two position in Congress poses no challenges to it.
"This announcement of Rahul Gandhi becoming number two of Congress has not come as a surprise. He was already number two after Sonia Gandhi. He was not number three who has been elevated to number two. Only a member of Nehru-Gandhi family can be number two," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
Congress announced today that the Congress Working Committee has unanimously supported a resolution moved by AK Antony to make Rahul Gandhi Vice President of the party.
"This decision will not bring any gains to Congress. He does not pose a challenge to BJP even if he becomes President of Congress. Congress has no future," Hussain claimed.
Another party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said though this decision is entirely of Congress and is an internal matter of that party, it will not have much political impact.
"If Congress thinks the elevation of Rahul Gandhi will give a boost to the party`s future prospects, then it is highly mistaken. People will judge Congress as well as Rahul Gandhi by their performance in the last nine years that the party has been in power," Prasad said.
He maintained people will look at Rahul Gandhi`s track record as an MP and a campaigner of Congress before taking any decision.
Another BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said the whole country knows Congress is a one-family party and has always had dynastic leadership since independence.
"This development may excite Congress but does not excite the people of this country," he said.
Asked if Gandhi`s elevation poses a challenge to BJP, he said "absolutely not. Changing a nomenclature does not change the situation on the ground."
Another spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the people still do not know what Rahul Gandhi`s views are on the Delhi gangrape and other crucial issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal