BJP seeks clarification from UPA govt on phone tapping
Kolkata: BJP on Tuesday sought a clarification
from the UPA government at the Centre on alleged tapping of
over one lakh telephones across the country, describing it as
a "cause of grave concern".
Stating that this amounted to misuse of power, opposition
leader in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said "The government has to
confirm that tapping is being done on consideration of
security and also state how many phones are being tapped".
"Today on the basis of a case in the Supreme Court, media
reports said that one lakh phones are being tapped in the
country", he told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting
of National office-bearers of the party.
"It is a cause of grave concern...the country`s law
states that tapping can be done in extreme cases like
security considerations or in case of a serious crime",
Claiming that the alleged number of tapped phones was
higher than even in police states, Jaitley sought an
authoritative clarification from the central government on the
"The figure is so large that it is frightening and phones
are tapped simultaneously by the Centre and the states.
We would like to know the exact number of phones being tapped
and the ground on which they are being tapped", he said.
Pointing out that misuse of power was taking place ,
Jaitley said "for consequences of what is being done, it is
important that the government comes out with a clarification".
BJP leader L K Advani, party president Nitin Gadkari,
Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa, Chattishgarh chief
minister Raman Singh and Jaitley are here for attending the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in