BJP seeks Rs 1.25 crore for Chamel Singh`s family
Chandigarh: The BJP on Saturday demanded compensation for the family of Chamel Singh, the Indian prisoner who died in a Lahore jail, and urged the Centre to ensure safety of Indian inmates lodged in Pakistani jails.
"Compensation of Rs 1 crore should be given by Jammu and Kashmir government while Rs 25 lakh should be given by the Centre," BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Avinash Rai Khanna, who is also in-charge of the J-K affairs of the party, said at a press conference.
Chamel Singh died in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail on January 15, 2013, after allegedly being attacked by fellow inmates.
Sarabjit Singh too was lodged in the same jail and had also been attacked there by fellow inmates leading to his death at a hospital in Lahore.
Khanna said, he had written to President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on the matter.
"I have requested that like Sarabjit Singh`s family, Chamel Singh`s kin should also be given compensation.
"The J-K government should also give a compensation of Rs 1 crore, like the Punjab government in Sarabjit Singh`s case," he said.
Punjab BJP on Saturday performed a `havan` at its office in memory of Chamel Singh and handed over Rs 3 lakh to Singh`s kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi