BJP seeks support for all India petrol hike bandh
New Delhi: BJP has given a call to all parties opposed to the Rs 7.54 hike in petrol price to join hands with it in holding an all-India strike on Thursday against the measure by organising rallies, marches, processions and public meetings in different parts of the country.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari asked parties like DMK- which has opposed the petrol price hike despite being a UPA ally- and other parties, including NDA allies, to join the bandh on Thursday.
"The UPA government has increased petrol prices on 18 to 19 occasions. Now even the Rupee has fallen further. The situation is deteriorating in such a manner that we have reach the stage where we may have to pledge our gold again. We would like all parties opposed to the petrol hike to join our protest," Gadkari told reporters.
DMK had threatened that it may think of withdrawing support to the Congress-led UPA government due to this petrol hike. However, later DMK Chief M Karunanidhi clarified that the party will oppose the move while staying within UPA.
BJP`s all-India bandh on Thursday will be observed in several districts across the country. The state unit leaders of the party have been asked to lead the processions and demonstrations in different districts.
In Delhi, Narendra Modi`s bete noire Sanjay Joshi will lead the protest demonstrations near Akshardham temple. Central leaders will participate in protests in other places.
"Party leaders, including MP`s would take part in rallies and also hold public meetings to protest against the anti- people policies and steep hike in prices of essential commodities by the corrupt UPA Government in connivance with mafias of vested interest," BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen