BJP seeks to wash its hands off from Bangaru punishment
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday sought to wash its hands off from the jail term awarded by a court here to its former president Bangaru Laxman in a bribery case, saying the order is part of a legal process which does not involve the party as the liability is personal.
"This sentence is a part of the legal process. He (Laxman) will appeal against it. The liability here is personal and does not involve the party," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
A Delhi court sentenced Laxman today to four years in jail and imposed a fine of Rs 1 Lakh. He had been caught in a sting operation, conducted by news portal Tehelka, where he is shown accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh to fix a fictious defence deal in 2001.
BJP sought to take digs at the government for allegedly using CBI selectively which had investigated this case and is now probing high-profile cases like 2G spectrum scam.
"One fact needs to be noted that it (Laxman case) was a sting for Rs one lakh only. If CBI can secure conviction here, I am sure if CBI is allowed a proper free hand, then also surely conviction and heavy sentence would be passed in a series of shameful scandals of Congress regime where actual public money has been looted," Prasad said.
Enumerating these cases, Prasad charged Congress had looted Rs 1.67 Lakh crore in 2G spectrum case and Rs 20,000 crore in the Commonwealth Games.
"Congress had looted crores of rupees in Bofors", Prasad alleged.
Asked if Laxman`s conviction comes as an embarrasment to BJP, Prasad maintained prompt and swift action was taken when the issue had come to light 11 years ago.
"When the incident occured, the party removed him immediately the same evening. And thereafter, BJP has not given him any important post in the party," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced