BJP sees red over Rahul`s rallies near hospitals
Panvel (Maharashtra): The selection of venues in the
vicinity of hospitals and schools for the rallies of AICC
General secretary Rahul Gandhi on Thusrday had the opposition BJP
fuming with the party alleging violation of the model code for
the October 13 elections.
BJP alleged that the Congress leader`s poll campaign
meetings in Panvel and Aurangabad caused inconvenience to
The rally at panvel was held next to the Government rural
hospital, while the one at Aurangabad was scheduled adjacent
to the casualty ward of MGM hospital.
As roads were blocked and tight security arrangements
were in place at the Shree Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj ground
in Panvel, the rural hospital saw decline in the number of
patients coming to OPD in the morning, hospital staff told
On an average, around 300 patients are examined in the
OPD every day. "Today, very few patients visited as roads to
the hospital were blocked," a staff member said.
BJP leader Kirit Somaiya said there was a violation of
poll code as the rally was held outside a hospital. "Before
granting permission for the rally, local authorities should
have ascertained if there was any violation of the poll code,"
he said, adding patients were inconvenienced due to
loudspeakers in the vicinity, he said.
Saraswati Shinde, whose neighbour delivered a baby
yesterday in the hospital, said, "the blaring loud speakers
caused discomfort to both the baby and mother."
A stone`s throw from the ground, at the Yakub Baig High
school and Junior College, exams were on even as the rally was
"The windows of examination halls had to be shut so that
the examinees could concentrate," said Abu Kacchi, who runs an
eatery outside the school.
Somaiya, a former BJP MP, said in Aurangabad that the
rally was organised on a ground next to MGM hospital, causing
discomfort to patients.
Raigad Collector Subhash Sonawane confirmed that a
complaint has been received from BJP alleging poll code
violation in Panvel.
"We have asked officials at Panvel to go into it and
submit a report," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'