BJP slams bill to set up Green Tribunal
New Delhi: BJP on Monday slammed a bill that seeks
to set up a Green Tribunal for disposal of ecology-related
cases, saying it would discourage environment-friendly people
from coming forward with their issues as costs would be
imposed for the same.
Initiating a debate on the National Green Tribunal Bill
2009 in the Lok Sabha, Anant Kumar Hegde (BJP) said the body
proposed to be set up would be nothing but a club of retired
He said there was a mismatch between the government`s
claims and provisions of the bill.
Referring to the fact that the Tribunal would have the
right to levy any amount of cost on litigants, Hegde said it
would be "unconstitutional" and would discourage environment-
friendly people from coming forward with their issues related
He also referred to a reply of the Environment Ministry to
an RTI application and said the ministry had accepted that no
consultation was done with experts before bringing the draft
legislation in Parliament.
The bill, tabled in the House in August last year, seeks to
set up a National Green Tribunal with powers of a civil court
for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to
environmental protection, and conservation of forests and
It provides for ensuring enforcement of any legal right
relating to environment and relief and compensation to persons
for environmental damage.
The Tribunal shall consist of a full-time chairperson, full
-time judicial members and a number of experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!