BJP slams Chidambaram`s `saffron terror` remark
Bhopal: Hitting out at Union Home Minister P Chidambaram for his "saffron terrorism" remark, BJP President Nitin Gadkari Thursday said it is a ploy by the Congress to "appease minorities" for vote bank politics.
"I do not believe that there is any such thing as saffron
terrorism. The Congress talks about it only for its vote bank
politics...Long back, secularism used to mean respect for all
religions, but for Congress today it means only appeasement of
minorities," Gadkari told a press conference here.
"Terrorists are terrorists irrespective of their religion
and it won`t be proper to classify them on that basis," he
Gadkari said the UPA government was very lax in dealing
"It is expected that the government would deal firmly and
strongly with terrorists but it is not doing so," he said.
At a function in New Delhi yesterday, Chidambaram had
said, "There is the recently uncovered phenomenon of saffron
terrorism that has been implicated in many bomb blasts of the
Attacking the Centre for failing to curb Naxalism,
Gadkari said the menace was prevalent in 230 districts of the
"Naxalism now exists in the country from Pashupatinath to
Kanyakumari," he said.
’Chose words before speaking’
BJP today asked Union
Home Minister P Chidambaram to carefully choose his words
before speaking and demanded an apology for his `saffron
"HM should maintain full caution in selection of words
... he should apologise for his saffron terrorism remarks,"
BJP spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad told reporters here.
He further said "Saffron is the country`s pride... it is
a religious cloth of shankaracharyas, sadhus and saints.. it
is also the symbol of Indian culture."
Prasad was here to participate in a BJP workers meet.
The `saffron terror` issue was raked up in the Rajya
Sabha today by the BJP, and though it found itself isolated
the House witnessed two adjournments over the matter.
VHP demands apology from Chidambaram
After the Congress distanced itself from the ‘saffron terror’ remarks of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, the Vshwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) demanded an apology from him.
Speaking at a press conference, VHP leader Ashok Singhal said that such a remark is unacceptable and Chidambaram should apologise for hurting the sentiments of Hindus.
Singhal also reiterated that Ram temple must be built on the disputed Ram Janmabhoomi site in Ayodhya.
It should be noted that the verdict on Ram Janmabhoomi- Babri Masjid issue is expected in the mid of September and VHP is gearing up for that.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in