BJP slams govt for approving communal violence Bill
New Delhi: Reacting sharply to the approval
of the communal violence (prevention) Bill by the Union
Cabinet, BJP today termed it as a "serious encroachment" on
the federal structure of the country.
"It is a serious encroachment on the federal structure
of the country," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha
Arun Jaitley told reporters here.
Saying that since law and order was a state subject,
he had "serious doubts about the legislative competence of
Parliament on a subject which deals with law and order".
According to Jaitley, since the party had little
details about the Bill, it would provide a detailed reaction
at a later date.
A senior party leader said the government will find it
difficult to pass the Bill in Rajya Sabha due to lack of
"Parties which are in power in various states will
definitely oppose it," the BJP leader said.
The Union Cabinet had last night cleared the
re-drafted Communal Violence (Prevention, Control and
Rehabilitation of victims) Bill to check communal violence.
Among other things, the proposed measure provides for
enabling the Centre to declare an area in a state as
communally disturbed on its own and send central security
forces without the state`s request. This was based on the
recommendation of the Administrative Reforms Committee.
Besides, the Bill provides for transfer of cases outside
the state concerned for trial and take steps to protect
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog