BJP slams govt on Rehman Malik`s controversial quotes
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday demanded an explanation from the government on the controversial remarks made by Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik during his three-day visit which ended on Sunday.
BJP leader Yashwant Sinha raised the issue in the Lok Sabha while Ravi Shankar Prasad, speaking in the Rajya Sabha, said: "When the Indian government asked about (Lashkar-e-Taiba chief and 26/11 attack mastermind) Hafiz Saeed, he (Malik) said there is no proof and he said Abu Jundal is a spy of RAW (Research and Analysis Wing)."
"Above all, he raised the issue of Babri Masjid... it is interference in internal issues," said Prasad, demanding an explanation from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prasad asked why the government "failed" to tell Malik that Allahabad High Court has already given its verdict and those claiming it to be a mosque have been unable to prove it.
This triggered an angry reaction from Sabir Ali, a member of BJP ally JD(U), who trooped into the Well.
Malik, during his visit here, had said nobody wants to see the recurrence of incidents like Mumbai blasts, Samjhauta blasts or Babri Masjid issue. Later, however, he denied comparing the demolition of the shrine to the Mumbai attacks, adding that he had been "misunderstood".
"What Rehman Malik said was unwarranted, unprovoked. We strongly condemn it. I want to ask the Home Minister why Malik was allowed to come if his visit to India was with an agenda. Why the government did not respond to all this strongly? Home Minister should reply," Prasad said in presence of Shinde.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla said that Shinde would make a statement later.
Malik, before flying home on Sunday, alleged that Abu Jundal, who is said to have been present at the Karachi-based "control room" from where the horrific Mumbai terror attack was overseen and directed was actually an Indian intelligence agent.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared