BJP slams Govt over pricing spectrum at Rs 14K cr
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday slammed the government for pricing telecom spectrum at Rs 14,000 crore which is 22 per cent lower than the TRAI recommendations and sought to know what prompted the Union Cabinet to take this decision.
"TRAI had recommended that even a hike of five paise per minute would help the service provider cover-up the so called legacy losses... Why did the Cabinet then decide on Rs 14,000 crore price for the spectrum? What was the basis of the reduction to Rs 14,000 cr when TRAI had recommended the price of Rs 18,000 cr," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
He alleged that not even once has the government provided any justification for deciding this price which is 22 per cent lower than what was recommended by TRAI.
"What were the considered reasons in the Cabinet? Has the Cabinet held a kangaroo sitting to reduce the price? BJP feels this is again a blatant attempt by the Prime Minister and the Home Minister to reduce the price," Rudy said.
The Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, yesterday agreed to price 5 MHz of airwaves in the 1,800 Mhz band at the lower end of the Rs 14,000 crore to Rs 15,000 crore reserve price band suggested by a ministers` group.
Rudy said this new pricing, though low, proves Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal`s earlier contention that there was "zero loss" in 2G spectrum allocation was wrong. "If it was zero loss than how come the government has decided on a price of Rs 14,000 crore," he said.
This price is seven times higher than the price companies had paid during 2G spectrum allocation in 2008 when A Raja was the Telecom minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org