BJP slams Kejriwal for meeting cleric Tauqeer Raza
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday slammed Aam Admi Party Chief Arvind Kejriwal for meeting cleric Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan, saying the people will never support a party which is in touch with such a `controversial` person.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, who inaugurated the election office of BJP leader Vijender Gupta here, said, "There are some parties who claim to represent the Aam Aadmi. However, the Aam Aadmi of Delhi would never want to support those who are in truck with Tauqeer Raza Khan."
"The leaders of this new party joined hands with those who raised question marks on the sacrifice of Delhi Police official Mohan Chand Sharma," he added.
Kejriwal had recently met Khan, reportedly to seek his support and benefit from his hold over voters from the minority community.
Kejriwal is likely to contest against Gupta and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit from the New Delhi constituency.
Jaitley said Gupta will emerge as a "giant killer" by defeating his rivals.
At the inaugural function of Gupta`s election office at 14, Bishambhar Das Marg, other senior BJP leaders, including Delhi BJP President Vijay Goel, Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly Vijay Kumar Malhotra and BJP`s Chief Ministerial candidate for Delhi Harsh Vardhan were also present.
Gupta claimed that it was "unfortunate" that Dikshit has turned New Delhi into a "large slum" and even basic amenities were not available to large number of people living in slum areas here.
"When the BJP will come to power in Delhi, it will launch a specially designed programmes to train weaker sections of society in job-oriented courses. It will ensure better and higher education for the weaker communities. This would bring a fundamental change in their status," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border