BJP slams PMO for giving ‘clean chit’ to Robert Vadra
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday hit out at the Prime Minister`s Office for giving a "clean chit" to Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra in the land deals with realty major DLF in Haryana and sought to know how it arrived at this conclusion without conducting any probe.
"Is it the Prime Minister`s Office or a bailout office? We say this with full responsibility," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
Prasad pointed out that several questions had been raised about the deals between Vadra and DLF including how his seed capital of Rs 50 Lakh turned into Rs 300 crore within a short span of time, the controversy on an overdraft that Vadra claimed was given by Corporation Bank which the latter denied, and how Congress governments in Rajasthan and Haryana had sprung to his defence.
The PMO has said in an affidavit before the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court that the allegations regarding irregular land dealings between Vadra and DLF "appear to be false, based on heresay and vexatious".
Asking how the PMO had reached this conclusion, Prasad said "Did you conduct an inquiry?... How can the PMO be used to shield corruption?"
BJP alleged that even in the past in other cases, the PMO had given a "clean chit" to individuals who faced charges later.
"In the case of former Telecom Minister A Raja, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Commonwealth Games, and Coalgate, the PMO had given a clean chit. The Prime Minister himself has been giving repeated certificates of innocence inside and outside Parliament," Prasad said.
He demanded the PMO should come come clear on who probed the charges against Vadra and how he was given a "clean chit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy