BJP slams Shinde`s absence after Chhattisgarh Naxal attack
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday slammed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for his absence from the country in the aftermath of the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh.
Party spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi said, "At a time when so much of commotion is happening, the gentleman there (Shinde) is on a private trip for past four days when rest of the people from the official trip have come back."
She rejected explanations that the Home Minister was keeping an eye on the situation from abroad.
"You can sit on the moon and say we are monitoring everything but that is not what is expected of a person who needs to be on the ground and be in control of the situation," she said, describing the attack as a "national calamity".
Lekhi said with the situation changing on the ground every minute, Congress needs to be "more correct" as to how the situation needs to be handled.
She said sending the National Investigative Agency (NIA) to probe the attack "sounds more superfluous" when the home minister had a word with the state chief minister Raman Singh who had updated him about the commission of enquiry set up by the state government to probe the incident.
She also appeared to suggest that the government was handing the issue lightly, noting that "the kind of support which one requires from the central government probably needs to be relooked at".
The Maoist attack on May 25 killed 27 people, including former state Home Minister Mahendra Karma, State Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Nand Kumar Patel and his son Dinesh.
Even as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited the state after the incident, Lekhi said their visit served little purpose.
To a poser, she said, "Sonia Gandhi happens to be the UPA chairperson and not an official person who has any knowledge or wherewithal to pass on any kind of advice or judgement about how the Naxal issue has to be handled...Which is prerogative of the Home Minister."
Besides, there are multiple voices coming from Congress quarters, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'