BJP slams Sonia for defending PM on coal blocks issue
New Delhi: Accusing Congress chief Sonia Gandhi of "arrogance" after she dismissed its demand for the Prime Minister`s resignation on coal blocks issue, BJP Tuesday demanded that original CBI affidavit on status report and emails sent to the agency by PMO on the issue be made public.
While Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said he was not surprised at Gandhi`s response to their demand, BJP deputy leader in the Upper House Ravi Shankar Prasad did not wish to comment on her "arrogant style".
The BJP response came within hours of the Congress President dismissing the opposition demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation over the coal block issue with a terse "Let them ask" remark.
Jaitley said that Gandhi may see Singh`s alleged role in the coal allocation case as a "virtue" but BJP feels this is nothing less than a scam.
"I don`t wish to comment upon the arrogant style of Madam Sonia Gandhi if she gave this remark. But atleast in all humility, I would expect a reply from Madam Sonia Gandhi who has been Congress President that how is it and why is it that the JPC report by one of its own Congress leader Ram Niwas Mirdha is praised even today including its conduct, while that of its own Congress leader P C Chacko is open to so much of doubt, including its credentials," Prasad said.
Jaitley sought to know what was the need for the Law Minister to call the CBI director, Law officers and others to see the report and make changes in it.
Prasad found the government contention that Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was only making "grammatical corrections" as surprising and said, "This is the first direct evidence of government interference in CBI. This is the first time CBI required tutorship of Law Minister to correct its english."
"BJP demands that the original status report through affidavit of the CBI which was prepared before the meeting at the office of the Law Minister and what were grammatical errors supposedly corrected by the law minister in his capacity as the tutor of the CBI teaching English. This the nation must know," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’