BJP slams UPA over graft, price rise; announces agitation
Mumbai: Stepping up its attack on the Congress-led UPA Government, BJP on Wednesday announced a nationwide agitation on the twin issues of price rise and corruption.
`Jan Sangharsh` agitation will start on June 7 and end with `jail bharo` stir on June 22, party Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
"During the period, we will organise rallies and padyatras against the Government at district and tehsil levels and end the protest with a jail bharo," he said here.
"All national and state leaders, MPs, MLAs, office- bearers of the BJP will participate in the Jan Sangharsh and court arrest on June 22," Naqvi said.
Addressing a press conference, the BJP leader said the country was passing through difficult times because Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was leading a "corrupt" Government and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi was their "protector". "They are encouraging corruption under the garb of honesty."
Naqvi charged that in the eight years of the UPA administration, scams and corruption have broken all records.
"The import of crude oil is about 85 per cent of the present requirement. However, during the NDA regime, it was 65 to 70 per cent because we focused on alternate sources like piped gas, bio-diesel, ethanol. Later there was zero progress on this matter. The UPA Government is helping oil mafia and those responsible for rise in prices of essential commodities."
Naqvi said instead of attacking the main Opposition party, the Congress, heading the ruling coalition, will serve the country well by fighting corruption and price rise.
"Our agitation will continue till this insensitive Government wakes up and takes note of hardships being faced by the people," the BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India