BJP stalls RS, protests Guj Lokayukta appointment
New Delhi: Demanding recall of Gujarat
Governor over appointment of Lokayukta, BJP on Friday forced
adjournment of the Rajya Sabha for the day, even as the
government blamed the Opposition for disallowing passage of
bills, important for engineering students.
The Upper House which had a considerable legislative
agenda, could not transact any substantive business as slogan
shouting BJP members trooped into the well forcing repeated
The party, ruling in Gujarat, is protesting appointment of
Lokayukta in the state by Governor Kamala Beniwal without
consulting the Narendra Modi government.
Trouble began minutes after the House assembled for the
day and between 11 am and 12:25 pm, the Chair had to adjourn
the House four times. When it reassembled at 2.30 pm, the main
Opposition continued protests forcing the Chair to adjourn the
House for the day. The Rajya Sabha will now meet on Monday.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, who was to move three important
bills relating to IITs, National Institute of Technology and
the copyrights, said, "Without passage of these bills,
students will not get their degrees."
He said the BJP was not letting the House function, a
remark refuted by BJP Deputy Leader SS Ahluwalia.
The NIT amendment bill seeks to upgrade five Indian
Institutes of Science Education and Research by declaring them
as `institutes of national importance`.
In the morning, after Home Minister P Chidambaram made a
statement on elections to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak
Committee (SGPC), BJP members rushed into the well shouting
slogans demanding recall of the Gujarat Governor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range