BJP stalls RS, protests Guj Lokayukta appointment
New Delhi: Demanding recall of Gujarat
Governor over appointment of Lokayukta, BJP on Friday forced
adjournment of the Rajya Sabha for the day, even as the
government blamed the Opposition for disallowing passage of
bills, important for engineering students.
The Upper House which had a considerable legislative
agenda, could not transact any substantive business as slogan
shouting BJP members trooped into the well forcing repeated
The party, ruling in Gujarat, is protesting appointment of
Lokayukta in the state by Governor Kamala Beniwal without
consulting the Narendra Modi government.
Trouble began minutes after the House assembled for the
day and between 11 am and 12:25 pm, the Chair had to adjourn
the House four times. When it reassembled at 2.30 pm, the main
Opposition continued protests forcing the Chair to adjourn the
House for the day. The Rajya Sabha will now meet on Monday.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, who was to move three important
bills relating to IITs, National Institute of Technology and
the copyrights, said, "Without passage of these bills,
students will not get their degrees."
He said the BJP was not letting the House function, a
remark refuted by BJP Deputy Leader SS Ahluwalia.
The NIT amendment bill seeks to upgrade five Indian
Institutes of Science Education and Research by declaring them
as `institutes of national importance`.
In the morning, after Home Minister P Chidambaram made a
statement on elections to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak
Committee (SGPC), BJP members rushed into the well shouting
slogans demanding recall of the Gujarat Governor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof