BJP stands behind Nitin Gadkari
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday stood firmly behind its president Nitin Gadkari facing corruption charges, saying the party "endorses" his stand on facing any investigation by competent authority.
At the same time, it also lashed out at Congress for being "prejudicial" in demanding probe against him but refusing investigation into corruption charges against the party or against Robert Vadra.
"The BJP party president has himself said allegations levelled against him are baseless. He has appeared in media to explain his position. He has himself said that he is open to any investigations by any competent authority. The party endorses his view," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman told reporters here.
The difference between BJP and ruling Congress party facing "list of corruption" charges lies in the fact that while Gadkari has said he is open to any investigation, Congress is running away from answering questions and is not open to investigations, she said.
"...You found cabinet ministers in the Union Cabinet coming out openly to say there is no need to investigate (against Vadra) in this matter. The difference lies in the fact that BJP is always open and its ready to meet the press and to say they are open to investigation," she said.
"If ministers are taking very prejudicial line on party basis...I don`t think ministers should be selective of picking and choosing," she said.
The party spokesperson also criticised Congress for trying to cover up allegations of corruption against Vibradra Singh and demanded a probe.
"There is an effort by the Congress to show all the reports which are coming against Virbhadra Singh... As though it is simple case of tax avoidance or tax related matters. It is certainly not that simple, it is just a clear cut open and shut case of corruption," she said.
"BJP demands that it be treated as corruption related and with all seriousness be investigated into," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video