BJP stands behind Nitin Gadkari
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday stood firmly behind its president Nitin Gadkari facing corruption charges, saying the party "endorses" his stand on facing any investigation by competent authority.
At the same time, it also lashed out at Congress for being "prejudicial" in demanding probe against him but refusing investigation into corruption charges against the party or against Robert Vadra.
"The BJP party president has himself said allegations levelled against him are baseless. He has appeared in media to explain his position. He has himself said that he is open to any investigations by any competent authority. The party endorses his view," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman told reporters here.
The difference between BJP and ruling Congress party facing "list of corruption" charges lies in the fact that while Gadkari has said he is open to any investigation, Congress is running away from answering questions and is not open to investigations, she said.
"...You found cabinet ministers in the Union Cabinet coming out openly to say there is no need to investigate (against Vadra) in this matter. The difference lies in the fact that BJP is always open and its ready to meet the press and to say they are open to investigation," she said.
"If ministers are taking very prejudicial line on party basis...I don`t think ministers should be selective of picking and choosing," she said.
The party spokesperson also criticised Congress for trying to cover up allegations of corruption against Vibradra Singh and demanded a probe.
"There is an effort by the Congress to show all the reports which are coming against Virbhadra Singh... As though it is simple case of tax avoidance or tax related matters. It is certainly not that simple, it is just a clear cut open and shut case of corruption," she said.
"BJP demands that it be treated as corruption related and with all seriousness be investigated into," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India