BJP stands firm behind 2 ex-MPs, Kulkarni
New Delhi: Standing firm behind its two
"whistle-blower" ex-MPs and L K Advani`s former aide
Sudheendra Kulkarni in the cash-for-vote scam, BJP on Wednesday
claimed they were innocent and were only trying to "expose"
use of money to save the UPA-I government during the 2008
Advani, along with Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley, today visited Tihar jail where the two
former MPs- Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora- and
Kulkarni have been kept under judicial custody.
Defending the three, Jaitley said, "False entrapment
cannot co-exist with bribery" while maintaining that
whistleblower cannot be treated in the same manner as a bribe
He said that 19 MPs had either cross-voted or abstained
during the trust vote and there were "open allegations" of use
of money power to influence MPs.
"Delhi Police has accepted that prima facie bribe was
paid.... Our MPs were only involved in exposing them (bribe
givers) as whistleblowers," Jaitley said.
The eminent lawyer argued that after the Supreme Court
judgement in the JMM case, the jurisdiction in such matters
lies only with Parliament and so they had to inform Lok Sabha
"During the 2008 trust vote there were allegations of
use of money power (to save the UPA government)... Their
intention was not to take money. They had exposed it (the act)
in Lok Sabha," Jaitley said outside Tihar jail.
Kulkarni was arrested yesterday and sent to judicial
custody till October one in connection with the 2008
cash-for-votes scandal. Earlier this month, Bhagora and
Kulaste too were sent to jail after their bail pleas were
rejected by a local court.
Jaitley`s Lok Sabha counterpart Sushma Swaraj had
visited Tihar earlier to meet the two ex-MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends