BJP supports Bharat Ratna for Tendulkar
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday voiced its support
to the growing demand to confer the Bharat Ratna on cricket
icon Sachin Tendulkar, saying both the batsman and the award
deserve each other.
"Tendulkar has already won the hearts of the country
through his talents, capabilities and conduct. In the eyes of
the people, he is already Bharat`s ratna. Conferring Bharat
Ratna on him is not only an honour for him, but it is an
honour for the nation`s highest civilian award too," BJP
leader Prakash Javadekar told reporters outside Parliament
"The government should immediately take up the case to
honour Sachin Tendulkar with the Bharat Ratna to fulfil the
wishes of the people. Because, he is not only a great
cricketer and a sportperson, but is also a great human being,"
Javadekar said, "the humility with which he conducts
himself, his calibre, capacity and conduct is a great thing we
have seen over all these years. We must appreciate the
people`s feelings," he said.
Another senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu supported the
idea of conferring the cricketer with Bharat Ratna, as there
has been an overwhelming demand among the people for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30