BJP supports money lenders, commission agents: Narayanasamy
Chennai: The Minister of State in Prime Minister`s office, V Narayanasamy,on Saturday alleged that India`s main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) supported money lenders, commission agents and failed to pay heed to the plight of the farmers, while it opposed retail reform in the parliament.
The government won the vote in upper house on allowing foreign supermarkets into the country, paving the way for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to press ahead with more reforms, including freeing up a cash-strapped insurance sector.
Narayanasamy said the BJP ignored the interests of the farmers.
"The BJP while submitting their point of view in parliament, they were supporting the money lenders, they were supporting the commission agents, ignoring the claims of the farmers, ignoring the employment generation and also the consumers protection," the minister told reporters in southern Chennai city on Saturday (December 08).
The policy will allow global retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores to set up shop in the country`s $450 billion retail sector, and is aimed at drawing more overseas investment and taming inflation.
Once again, Singh`s fragile coalition government relied on the outside support of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the Samajwadi Party (SP), underscoring the extent to which it is at the mercy of powerful regional groups to push through legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway