BJP takes on UPA govt over advertisement blitzkrieg
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday criticised the Congress-led UPA Government over the Rs 100-crore advertisement plan to boost its image in the wake of a nation-wide campaign against the diesel price hike and the opening of the retail sector to foreign firms.
BJP leader Balbir Punj told media here that the UPA Government had been tainted by a series of multi-billion scams, including telecom and coal, and added that advertisements would not be able to wash away these stains.
"The media advertisements will not be able to wash the taint. It has blackened the face of the UPA Government. It has stuck to the UPA-II and on the prime minister and when the right time comes people will give their verdict," Punj said.
In a bid to create awareness among people about economic reforms, the Central Government has sanctioned advertisements worth Rs 100 crore for electronic and print media.
Reports suggest that the government has created two sets of advertisements, which would target rural and urban areas both.
In cities, the advertisements would focus on the positive points of FDI in retail and inform people why government had to hike diesel prices.
People living in rural areas and smaller cities will be apprised of developmental programmes initiated by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof