BJP takes up fishermen killings with Sri Lanka envoy
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj Friday raised with Sri Lanka`s envoy the killings of Indian fishermen by the island nation`s Navy.
Sushma Swaraj said that High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam had promised to convey her concerns to Sri Lankan leaders.
"I met the high commissioner at my residence. I raised the issue of killing of our fishermen by the Sri Lanka Navy," Sushma Swaraj posted on Twitter.
She quoted Kariyawasam as saying that Colombo did not approve of the killing of fishermen from Tamil Nadu and promised to convey her "concerns to the highest authorities in Sri Lanka".
The BJP leader said she "will continue to follow up this issue".
Last month, the killing of two Indian fishermen in the narrow sea dividing India and Sri Lanka triggered protests in Tamil Nadu. The Sri Lanka Navy was blamed but Colombo denied involvement.
Ahead of elections in Tamil Nadu in May, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao visited Sri Lanka Jan 31 to discuss the matter. External Affairs Minister SM Krishna has voiced "deep concern" over the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues