BJP terms UPA`s ordinance on food security a "poll gimmick"
Hyderabad: Dubbing UPA government`s move to bring an ordinance on food security as an "election gimmick," BJP national secretary Dr K Laxman on Monday accused the Congress of running away from a debate on the crucial issue in Parliament.
"Without consulting opposition parties or experts, the Congress-led UPA government chose a route to implement the Food Security Bill by issuing an ordinance, to gain political mileage," Laxman alleged while talking to reporters.
The Congress might have thought that the food security would be their "power security" in the coming election, but people of the country are aware of the corrupt government and its wrong policies which have led to rise in prices of essential commodities, he said.
The ordinance was just an "election gimmick" for garnering votes rather than a sincere desire to help the poor with food security, Laxman alleged.
Stating that BJP is not against the food security, he said there was a need to discuss such a major issue in detail in the Parliament.
On the building collapse in Secunderabad here this morning in which 10 persons were killed and several others injured, the BJP leader alleged that lack of coordination between the government departments like revenue, GHMC and Water Board was leading to such mishaps in the city.
The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) failed to take action against the owners of buildings that were in a dilapidated condition, he alleged.
There are thousands of such buildings in the city and the government should initiate action to prevent such accidents, Laxman said while demanding better medical facilities to the injured persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh