BJP to come out with time-bound action plan on women`s safety
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Tuesday voiced concern over "rising" crimes against women in the national capital and said it will soon come out with a white paper on "women safety" suggesting a time-bound action plan to address the "grave" situation.
"The situation is grave in Delhi with more than 2,500 incidents of rape and molestation over a period of last six months. It`s deplorable that the city`s Congress government remains either tight lipped or just shifts the blame on Delhi Police for such a grave situation. There is an urgent need for affirmative action," Delhi BJP Chief Vijay Goel said.
Delhi has witnessed 806 rape cases this year until June 20, a sharp increase from 330 for the same period last year.
The jump in the number of molestation cases was even steeper, with 1,780 cases reported in the capital in the first six months this year against 270 for the same period last year, he added.
With the rape cases almost doubling in Delhi as compared to last year, Goel said that the party will set up a working group on the issue of "Women`s safety" in Delhi.
The group in consultation with the experts will put together an action plan with a fixed time frame and also a party delegation will meet Union Home Minister to demand immediate remedial action.
"There has to be a time bound action plan on the ground to curb the rising crime graph against women in the city," said Goel.
Vowing to take several initiatives for safety of women once his party comes to power, Goel said the BJP will strengthen Delhi Home Guards by providing them better training and enhancing their numbers to supplement the policing efforts of Delhi Police.
Apart from it, BJP would also increase number of women police stations substantially, immediately fill up existing vacancies for women personnel in Delhi police and increase the number of women cops by atleast 20 per cent in the city.
"The party will introduce self-defence modules for
women in all educational institutions and ensure intensive patrolling by the women cops," Goel said, adding constitute quick reaction teams will be set up to deal with any incident of eve teasing or crime against women.
According to the National Crime Records Bureau data, amongst 53 cities in the country having a population of more than 10 lakh, Delhi accounts for 18 per cent rape cases and atleast 10 per cent of molestation cases. Overall amongst these 53 cities, Delhi accounted for more than 13 per cent of the crimes committed against women.
Delhi BJP General Secretary Shikha Rai ruled that the number of women police personnel stands merely at seven per cent.
"Out of more than 160 police stations, there is only one woman police station. This is completely inadequate and the number of women cops needs to be increased substantially."
Delhi BJP Mahila Morcha President Sudha Sharma said, "When a Chief Minister starts saying herself that her daughter is not safe in the city, that itself is an evidence of how unsafe this city has become for women during Congress rule."
The aprty said it will hold consultations with experts and all other stakeholders on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof