BJP to `felicitate` cash-for-votes accused
New Delhi: In a bid to up the ante against the government on the cash-for-votes scam and corruption issue, BJP has decided to "felicitate" its "whistle-blower" former MPs and LK Advani`s ex-aide Sudheendra Kulkarni who have been released on bail.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari will chair a session on Saturday at the party headquarters in Delhi in which Kulkarni and the two former MPs - Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - who have been granted bail by the Delhi High Court, will be honoured. Ashok Argal, who was the third leader in the trio and is a sitting MP, is also likely to be present, party sources said.
The politicians and Kulkarni will also recount their experience in jail as well as about the case. It was not clear whether Suhail Hindustani, whom is said to be mastermind behind the sting operation, will also be felicitated.
Party sources said these people may also be felicitated on stage at the culmination rally of Advani`s yatra on Sunday.
Kulkarni may also take membership of the BJP in the near future, something which Gadkari is said to be keen on. When the sting operation was conducted on the eve of the July 2008 trust vote in Lok Sabha, some sections of the BJP were not in favour of the exercise. Party leader Jaswant Singh has openly said that he had met Advani prior to the sting and asked him to drop the idea.
However, when these "whistle-blowers" were arrested during the last Monsoon Session of Parliament, Advani said in the Lower House that if they are guilty, he too is guilty as he was aware of the sting operation. Advani maintained that he too should be sent to jail.
Later, Advani announced that he will take out a yatra against corruption and for good governance and clean politics. He said the inspiration for the yatra came from the arrest of the whistle-blowers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days