BJP to move privilege motion against PM in LS
New Delhi: The Bhartiya Janata Party is expected to move a privilege motion against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Lok Sabha on Monday for "misleading" the house by claiming MPs were not bribed during the July 2008 trust vote even though the parliamentary probe committee said that money was paid.
"BJP will move a privilege motion against the Prime Minister in the Lok Sabha for misleading the house on the July 2008 trust vote. He (PM) said in the house last week that no bribe was paid while the Kishore Chandra Deo committee has clearly stated that bribe was paid," party spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
Leader of the opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj is likely to move the privilege motion.
Incidentally, as a counter to this, the ruling Congress has declared it will move a privilege motion against Swaraj for allegedly defying Speaker Meira Kumar last week by trying to seek clarifications from the Prime Minister after his statement on the revelations made by WikiLeaks on the cash-for-vote scam.
As per Parliament rules, clarifications cannot be sought from a minister or the Prime Minister in the Lok Sabha after he/she makes a statement on the demand of the opposition. This provision is there only in the Rajya Sabha.
BJP-led NDA will also demand a discussion in the Lok Sabha under Rule 193 (which does not entail voting).
"Sushma Swaraj and Yashwant Sinha from the BJP and Sharad Yadav from JD(U) will demand discussion under Rule 193. If the government wants Lok Sabha to run, it would agree as soon as the house meets for the day," Hussain said.
Since the Question Hour has been suspended for the remaining period of the ongoing Budget Session, NDA wants the discussion to start at 11 am.
"The leaders of opposition in both the houses were not allowed to speak after the Prime Minister made his statement. Hence we are making the demand for a debate," Hussain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof