BJP to rake up Bofors issue in Parliament
New Delhi: BJP parliamentary party on Wednesday decided to rake up the Bofors pay-offs issue in Parliament in wake of fresh allegations that the then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi may have soft-pedalled the probe to protect Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley spoke during the parliamentary party meeting about the allegations related to the Bofors scam made by former Swedish Police chief Sten Lindstrom in an interview.
"The entire Government of India at that point in time was out to save Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, including then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters later.
BJP will raise this issue in the Rajya Sabha when the working of the Defence Ministry is discussed on May 2. The party also plans to raise the issue in the Lok Sabha but the "mode and manner" in which it will be brought up has not been decided yet.
Asked if Rajiv Gandhi himself was "complicit" in saving Quattrocchi, Prasad said, "His government tried to save and protect Quattrocchi, and suppress the investigations. It is clear from the interview that Rajiv Gandhi`s government made all efforts to stop the probe, delay proceedings and prevent any action against Quattrocchi."
Alleged anomalies worth Rs 350 crore in a helicopter deal will also be highlighted by BJP in Parliament.
The CD controversy involving Congress MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi also came up during the BJP meeting. Some members felt BJP was being "too soft" on the lawyer.
"During the cash-for-query scam, Singhvi had personally been harsh on our MPs involved in the matter and worked for their expulsion. We are allowing him to get away lightly," an MP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch