BJP trying to make electoral mileage: Cong on Afzal hanging
New Delhi: Rejecting the contention that the execution of Afzal Guru had a political motive, Congress on Monday hit out at BJP saying it was trying to make electoral mileage by raising the issue.
When pointed out to the criticism from some quarters including National Conference over the hanging of the Parliament attack convict, party spokesperson Sandip Dikshit also said that "finally justice has been done. People will also understand justice was done".
Replying to a question on why the hanging was delayed for years and done at a time when elections are due next year, he said, "Elections to Lok Sabha are far away. Still one and half year left for that. I do not think there is anything in this to do with elections."
He also lambasted parties "like BJP, who want to make political gains by raising issues like the delay in the hangings of Afzal Guru and argued "this process was going on for many days. Action was taken as soon as the President rejected the mercy petition. It is a matter of process".
Asked to comment on Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s remarks that the new generation in the state will identify with Afzal, Dikshit merely said, "It is unfortunate if it is like that. He (Omar) has expressed an apprehension that some people in the valley sympathise with Afzal Guru.
"As far as guilty or not guilty is concerned, the case went up to the Supreme Court. The due process of law has taken place. The SC has approved the death penalty. We are left with no option. When the Supreme Court decides it, we have to go by it."
A party leader, requesting anonymity, said his personal view was that the family could have been informed about the hanging earlier.
The leader at the same time maintained that there was no precedent of handing over bodies of such accused to the family saying there are apprehensions that there could be an attempt to build a memorial at his burial place if the body is sent to his family in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says