BJP undecided on reforms strategy
New Delhi: BJP on monday kept everybody guessing about its formal position on insurance and pension reforms Bills and attacked the government for "being in a hurry" to usher in reforms despite lacking numbers in Parliament.
The party also hit out at Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s statements on reforms. Party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said the Finance Minister is making "ambitious" claims about the likely growth of Indian economy at 8.2 per cent and sought to know if it is achievable and whom it is going to benefit.
Asked about BJP`s stand on the new reforms being brought in by the UPA government, Sitharaman refused to give a straight answer and maintained this government is "dithering" on reforms, has not taken steps to better the economy and now does not even enjoy a majority (after TMC withdrew support).
On the issue of support to the proposed Bills on FDI in insurance and pensions, Sitharaman said "this government has been misleading the people on the issue of reforms. What are not reforms, they happily title them as reforms and claim that they are going forward. Being in a minority today, they have not made a genuine attempt at fiscal consolidation."
BJP alleged the government has not shown any sign of having a "genuine interest" in reforms.
"When questioning the BJP on whether it will support reforms, I want to make the context clear. The atmosphere for moving with certain kinds of steps which this government may call reforms which we say are not really complete reform steps. The other reform steps are languishing," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks