BJP unhappy with response on Aircel-Maxis row
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday expressed dissatisfaction over government`s response to the Aircel-Maxis controversy allegedly involving Home Minister P Chidambaram`s kin and said it would demand a discussion on the issue in both Houses.
At the weekly BJP parliamentary party meeting, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley briefed the members about the Aircel-Maxis issue. Members said the replies given by Chidambaram and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee were not satisfactory, party sources said.
Party leader Yashwant Sinha is likely to move a notice in the Lok Sabha demanding discussion on the issue under Rule 193 that does not entail voting. BJP members in the Rajya Sabha are also planning to raise the matter in the House, they said.
The BJP MPs also felt that the Lokpal Bill should be brought in the Rajya Sabha in this session itself for passage. The party will put pressure on the government to do so, the sources said.
BJP parliamentary party chief LK Advani was not present at the meeting today as he is unwell, they said.
Lok Sabha members Shahnawaz Hussain and Sumitra Mahajan also spoke on alleged inaction of the Delhi government in rehabilitating around 2,500 asylum-seekers from northern Rakhine state in Myanmar who have been living in Vasant Kunj area for more than a week.
These refugees have pitched tents in front of the 13th century Sultan Garhi monument, an Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)-protected structure. The locals are opposing their presence in the area.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had earlier stated that the land occupied by these refugees belonged to Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and not the Wakf Board as claimed by some quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?