BJP used religion as opportunistic tool: Congress
New Delhi: Attacking Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley over his denial of the comments he allegedly made on the party`s stand on Hindu nationalism, the Congress Sunday said it was time the BJP admitted that it had used religion as an "opportunistic tool".
"We are surprised by Arun Jaitley regarding the WikiLeaks expose... Nobody is surprised by the leaks. It is known to everybody in the country that BJP always used religion for political gains," Congress spokesman Shakeel Ahmed said to a news agency.
He said that the main opposition party, which had disrupted parliament`s proceedings over the WikiLeaks expose relating to the cash-for-votes controversy, was now denying the contents of the leaks of US diplomatic cables.
"The negation has not served any purpose...Time has come for Jaitley and his party to accept openly that they have used religion as an opportunistic tool," Ahmed said.
He was referring to a leaked US diplomatic cable of May 2005 which gives a purported account of a conversation between Jaitley and a US embassy official in New Delhi.
According to the leaked cable, Jaitley said that Hindu nationalism was an opportunistic issue for the party and something that helped it to garner votes.
Jaitley Saturday said that use of word "opportunistic" in reference to nationalism or Hindu nationalism was neither his view nor his language and could be the diplomat`s own language.
WikiLeaks had also leaked a 2005 cable about Prime Minister Manmohan Singh purportedly telling BJP leader Jaswant Singh that he cannot rely on anyone in the United Progressive Alliance for advice except P. Chidambaram, who was then the finance minister and is now the home minister.
Referring to this, the Congress spokesman said that the party has long maintained that the "cables are unverified and unverifiable."
Ahmed, who is the party in-charge of poll-bound West Bengal, gave a similar reply to a question about the assessment in a leaked cable that the hopes of the Congress party had shifted to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra after party leader Rahul Gandhi`s alleged gaffes in 2007.
"The Congress stand has been that the cables are unverified and unverifiable. It is the BJP which has treated them as gospel truth," Ahmed said.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal also attacked Jaitley over his denial and said the BJP leader should seek apology from the people.
"This is very, very serious. This means that a political party (BJP) is using Hindutva as an opportunistic issue. Because of this opportunism thousands lost their lives," Sibal told reporters here Sunday, referring to the "rath yatra" of then BJP president LK Advani.
He said the BJP should explain what is its real ideology.
"This means (opposition to) Article 370 and (demand for) Uniform Civil Code are also opportunistic," he said.
"The Babri masjid issue was also opportunism to mislead the people," he said.
"The Congress has been saying for years that the BJP is misleading the people. Even its ideology is such that they say something in front of the people and something behind their backs," Sibal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy