BJP uses Ayodhya issue to mislead people ahead of polls: Congress
New Delhi: Congress today sought to drive a wedge in the Opposition NDA on the Ayodhya issue as BJP chief Rajnath Singh raked it up saying his party is committed to the construction of the Ram temple.
"Has the BJP ever consulted its allies on the matter? Do they also want it. Whenever the elections come near, the BJP is reminded of the issue as it wants to gain power by hook or crook," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He contended that the BJP has always used the Ayodhya issue to "mislead the people ahead of elections" but never spoke of it when it was in power for six long years.
Alvi`s comment came close on the heels of declaration by the new BJP president at Allahabad moments after former VHP chief Ashok Singhal bragged about the demolition of Babri masjid in the early 1990s during the campaign for construction of Ram temple.
"Everyone is equal before the law, whether he is an MP or MLA or anyone else," remarked Alvi when asked about Pravin Togadia`s alleged inflammatory speech on February 1 near Adilabad district, the same district where MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi had delivered his hate speech. Owaisi has already been arrested by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!