BJP uses Ayodhya issue to mislead people ahead of polls: Congress
New Delhi: Congress today sought to drive a wedge in the Opposition NDA on the Ayodhya issue as BJP chief Rajnath Singh raked it up saying his party is committed to the construction of the Ram temple.
"Has the BJP ever consulted its allies on the matter? Do they also want it. Whenever the elections come near, the BJP is reminded of the issue as it wants to gain power by hook or crook," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He contended that the BJP has always used the Ayodhya issue to "mislead the people ahead of elections" but never spoke of it when it was in power for six long years.
Alvi`s comment came close on the heels of declaration by the new BJP president at Allahabad moments after former VHP chief Ashok Singhal bragged about the demolition of Babri masjid in the early 1990s during the campaign for construction of Ram temple.
"Everyone is equal before the law, whether he is an MP or MLA or anyone else," remarked Alvi when asked about Pravin Togadia`s alleged inflammatory speech on February 1 near Adilabad district, the same district where MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi had delivered his hate speech. Owaisi has already been arrested by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet