BJP wants ban on endosulfan
Thiruvanathapuram: The BJP on Wednesday said that the
party favours a nation-wide ban on the pesticide, endosulfan.
"BJP is with the people who are suffering due to the
ill-effects of the pesticide in Kasaragod district," senior
BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj said here.
BJP-ruled Karnataka government had recently banned the
pesticide in the state for two months and had written to
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to prohibit the
pesticide in the country, she said.
Swaraj said Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar had
told her that the Centre would intervene on the issue after
getting the report of Indian Council of Medical Research.
The ruling CPI-M led LDF government in Kerala has been
demanding a nation-wide ban on endosulfan. The government has
called for a statewide hartal on April 29 in support of the
Swaraj was in the city to pay homage to State BJP
vice-president B K Shekar, who died here last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog