BJP wants US visa for Narendra Modi
New York: BJP, which had so far maintained that it was not unduly bothered about denial of American visa to Narendra Modi, today said it will appeal to the US Administration to lift the travel ban on him.
Addressing a press conference here, party President Rajnath Singh said he would take up the issue with the US lawmakers in Washington during the week.
"I will appeal to the US government to clear the US visa to the Gujarat Chief Minister," he said.
The US Government had taken a decision not to give visa to Modi in the wake of the post-Godhra riots of 2002 in Gujarat and serious violation of human rights there.
The party had always maintained that Modi was not clamouring for a US visa but criticised the Administration on its stand saying he was a democratically elected popular leaders of the state.
Modi, who has been nominated as the chairman of BJP election campaign committee, has taken to addressing audiences in the US through video-conferencing.
Recently, a planned address by him to Wharton India Economic Forum was cancelled after some objections were raised in the institution.
Singh is on a five-day trip to New York and Washington on an outreach programme to meet the Indian diaspora.
On Tuesday, he will present a key note address on India, Afghanistan and regional security at a conference in Washington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video