BJP welcomes Shinde`s statement expressing regret
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday welcomed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s statement expressing regret over his Hindu terror remarks but maintained that had he done so earlier it would not have "gladdened the hearts" of terrorists based in Pakistan.
"We accept this regret from the Home Minister but this ought to have come much earlier. Shinde`s comment against the RSS and the BJP was totally unwarranted, baseless and malicious. If Mr Shinde knew that what has spoken was incorrect he ought to have accepted his mistake earlier graciously," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told PTI.
He maintained that the delay in Shinde`s statement expressing regret had created a condition which "gladdened the hearts of terrorists and their patrons in Pakistan".
Chief of Pakistan-based terror outfit JuD Hafiz Saeed had welcomed Shinde`s Hindu terror remarks.
BJP sources said the party will not raise this issue in Parliament and the matter is closed after Shinde`s regret.
"We hope and trust that Shinde will be cautious in his comments about nationalistic organisation like the BJP and RSS in future and not repeat this again," Prasad said.
BJP had spoken firmly against the remarks made by Shinde at the Congress `chintan shivir` in Jaipur. Soon after taking over as BJP president, Rajnath Singh had demanded that Shinde should withdraw his remarks and tender an apology.
Sources said Shinde had sent a draft of the regret statement to Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj earlier but that was rejected by the BJP. Shinde`s statement today was issued after BJP expressed its satisfaction over its wording, the sources said.
BJP`s NDA ally Shiv Sena hailed the statement issued by Shinde. "With the statement, the issue is over for us," party general secretary Sanjay Raut said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA