BJP will certainly hoist national flag at Lal Chowk: Naidu
Vijayawada: Senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday said that the party would definitely hoist the national flag at Lal Chowk in Srinagar on the Republic Day.
"Every citizen in this country has the right to hold and hoist the national flag," Naidu said talking to reporters here.
"It is unconstitutional to prevent hoisting of national flag," Naidu said, adding that the opposition to the proposed hoisting by Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement backing Abdullah`s stand, were "shocking and against the spirit of nationalism and patriotism".
Abdullah had urged the BJP to desist from hoisting the flag in Lal Chowk, saying that if that led to any repercussions in the state, BJP would be responsible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez