BJP will consider Gorkhaland demand: Ahluwalia
Sukna: The demand for a separate state in the Darjeeling hills is legitimate and constitutionally valid, BJP Lok Sabha candidate SS Ahluwalia on Sunday said.
Addressing an election rally at Sukna, near Siliguri, Ahluwalia, the BJP nominee from Darjeeling constituency, said in the presence of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha chief Bimal Gurung that his party would consider the demand for Gorkhaland, if it comes to power.
"The demand for Gorkhaland is no crime. The Gorkhas can never be dissuaded from making this demand and my party will sympathetically consider the demand if elected to power," Ahluwalia said.
He accused the West Bengal government of confusing the Lepcha, Tamang and other communities in the hills on the issue.
Morcha president Bimal Gurung in his speech mocked at Mamata Banerjee`s call for making Darjeeling the Switzerland of the east and alleged that in the last two and a half years no development had taken place.
Gurung appealed to GNLF president Subash Ghising, who had first raised the demand for Gorkhaland back in the 1980s, to support the GJM`s stir.
A rally organised by the Morcha stalled traffic on NH55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof