BJP will consider Gorkhaland demand: Ahluwalia
Sukna: The demand for a separate state in the Darjeeling hills is legitimate and constitutionally valid, BJP Lok Sabha candidate SS Ahluwalia on Sunday said.
Addressing an election rally at Sukna, near Siliguri, Ahluwalia, the BJP nominee from Darjeeling constituency, said in the presence of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha chief Bimal Gurung that his party would consider the demand for Gorkhaland, if it comes to power.
"The demand for Gorkhaland is no crime. The Gorkhas can never be dissuaded from making this demand and my party will sympathetically consider the demand if elected to power," Ahluwalia said.
He accused the West Bengal government of confusing the Lepcha, Tamang and other communities in the hills on the issue.
Morcha president Bimal Gurung in his speech mocked at Mamata Banerjee`s call for making Darjeeling the Switzerland of the east and alleged that in the last two and a half years no development had taken place.
Gurung appealed to GNLF president Subash Ghising, who had first raised the demand for Gorkhaland back in the 1980s, to support the GJM`s stir.
A rally organised by the Morcha stalled traffic on NH55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm