BJP won`t name PM candidate before 2014 polls: Sources
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amid demands from key allies like the JD(U) and the Shiv Sena to name its prime ministerial candidate for 2014 polls well in advance, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is reported to have decided against any such move.
Sources said the BJP is unlikely to name its PM candidate before the General Elections, in a bid to keep the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) intact.
Amid growing speculation that the BJP could project Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its PM candidate in the next Lok Sabha polls considering his growing popularity and hat-trick in Gujarat, key NDA ally JD(U) had put the BJP on notice over the weekend asking it to announce who would lead the BJP in 2014 polls.
Today, another key ally Shiv Sena made a similar demand calling on the BJP to convene a meet of all NDA constituents before finalising its prime ministerial candidate.
In a strongly worded editorial in the party mouthpiece Saamna, Thackeray said the BJP has the right to nominate its candidate for prime minister but it could not take a unilateral decision on the issue.
While JD(U)`s Nitish Kumar has been opposing projection of Modi as NDA`s PM candidate over his alleged involvement in the 2002 Gujarat riots, Shiv Sena is apparently worried that Modi as PM could eat into its Hindu votebank.
The NDA is due to meet on April 20 at senior BJP leader LK Advani`s house and the issue is expected to take centrestage at the parleys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown