BJP writes to PM, wants halt to fencing work along border with Myanmar
New Delhi: BJP has asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to stop fencing work along Myanmar border in Manipur, claiming such an exercise will leave huge tracts of Indian land into Myanmar territory.
The party suggested setting up of a joint committee of Union and state Home department to demarcate border pillars and landmark water and river divides.
In a letter to Prime Minister Singh, BJP President Rajnath Singh said there should be demarcation of unsettled portion of boundary pillars along the Manipur sector with people`s participation from both countries at the earliest as constructing the boundary fencing will leave huge tracts of Indian land into Myanmar territory.
Rajnath Singh said that after demarcation of "acceptable" boundary line and re-identification of boundary poillars, fencing should be constructed as per international convention abandoning 10 metres on each side.
"Immediately stop the border fencing work as it leaves huge tract of land on Myanmar side which has traditionally been ours. The current fencing portion is exactly on the position of unsettled boundary line of the Indo-Myanmar international boundary line. This kind of boundary fencing seems to be neglecting and surrendering a huge area of our land to Myanmar," Singh said in a letter to the PM.
"Constitution of a Committee (jointly between MHA abnd State Home Department) to translate and describe the location of the border pillars and border landmark water divides, frontier streams and rivers into easily legible names and language for better protection of the international boundary along the state and for bettering public confidence," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next