BJP Yuva Morcha to start gender sensitisation campaign
New Delhi: After holding scores of protests and rallies across the country, members of BJP`s youth wing have decided to embark on an apolitical agenda of educating and spreading awareness among college students about women`s rights and how to fight atrocities against them.
On December 16, the first anniversary of the heinous gang rape in the capital, BJP Yuva Morcha chief Anurag Thakur and some close associates will begin the campaign `HOW - Honour Our Women` with a seminar in Delhi on growing cases of sexual crimes against women and how this can dealt with.
"This will be an apolitical initiative throughout. We are inviting Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley and also Congress MP Shashi Tharoor as well as editors for the seminar. Youth with different ideologies can join us in the programme under which we will reach out to 1,000 colleges across the country by March, 2014," Thakur said.
He rued that while the media had been giving a lot of space to the debate on the Supreme Court order banning gay sex, there was not much discussion on the challenges faced by women, who form 50 per cent of the population.
His team plans to make a short documentary on the measures suggested by politicians like Jaitley, Tharoor, as well as professionals like doctors, lawyers, police, NGOs, psychiatrists and others on gender sensitisation, domestic violence and fighting back exploitation by employers, especially in corporate houses and the media.
Along with seminars and interactions of college students with experts and politicians, Thakur and his team will also discuss issues like how women can fight against incest, foeticide, female infanticide, harassment and rape.
Once the programme takes off, Thakur plans to start a helpline for women who are in distress or facing problems in lodging FIRs and so on.
"We will also emphasise that all organisations implement the Vishaka guidelines on prevention of sexual harassment at the workplace," Thakur said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership