BJP`s agenda in President`s address copy of our plans: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday said the BJP`s agenda mentioned in the president`s address to the joint session of both houses of Parliament was a copy of its plans.
Participating in the debate on the motion of thanks on the president`s address, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad said the Congress is prepared to play the role of a constructive opposition.
Azad said most of the programmes mentioned in the address of President Pranab Mukherjee were started and executed by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
"The speech is a copied document, but you could have hired someone with better command on English to change the language of the document. Of the programmes mentioned in this speech, 90 percent of work in most of them has already been done by our government," Azad said in the Rajya Sabha.
The address of the president at the beginning of parliament session after a new Lok Sabha is elected - a constitutional necessity - is a document forwarding the new government`s agenda.
"There is nothing in the speech that can create a `shreshta Bharat` (superior India). The slogan `sabka sath sabka vikas` (taking everyone together for development) is a simple translation of Manmohan Singh`s inclusive development programme," Azad said.
Taking a jibe at the ruling party, Azad said: "Mandate, power and money never stick with one person, it keeps shifting from one hand to other."
Azad also said the Congress would play a "constructive opposition" and the "Congress is a responsible political party, one of the oldest in the world. You (BJP) may have got larger mandate than us, but our policies and programmes were, are, and will always be for the people".
"We are proud of our work under (former) prime minister Manmohan Singh," Azad added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery