BJP`s Delhi CM nominee: Vijay Goel stakes claim
New Delhi: BJP Delhi unit president Vijay Goel Wednesday asserted that the party`s nominee for the post of chief minister in the national capital should be one who has been more "active" in campaigning for the party.
The statement came as speculation was rife that senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former Delhi health minister Harsh Vardhan could be selected as the party`s chief ministerial candidate during the coming assembly elections.
"As far as the CM candidate is concerned, I think the one who is more active should get the post," Goel said, indicating that he had done much more towards the party`s campaign, and was worthy of being designated the BJP`s Delhi chief minister nominee.
"You can see the work we have done till now, be it campaigning or rallies. We have been successful and efficient," Goel said.
The Delhi BJP chief made an emotional appeal to reporters to refrain from maligning him, and damaging his "clean image" by raking up a controversy over the party`s chief minister candidate.
"No one has been able to level any charge against me in the last 40 years. Please don`t malign my clean image," an irritated Goel told reporters.
He argued that he was the most popular candidate with the masses, and that various opinion polls had pointed to his popularity.
"Look at all the opinion polls and you will see that I am the most popular candidate among the people of Delhi for the post of CM," said Goel.
Goel said the final decision in the matter, however, would be taken by the BJP`s parliamentary board, after considering the opinion of party workers.
Former BJP national president Nitin Gadkari, who is party incharge of Delhi, said no decision has yet been taken on the party`s nominee for the post of Delhi CM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued