BJP`s student wing urges students not to celebrate New Year
New Delhi: The student wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) -- Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) -- on Saturday appealed to all students to remain calm and not resort to creating a law and order situation because of the death of the 23-year-old victim of the December 16 gang-rape incident in a hospital in Singapore.
It also called on the student community to express solidarity with the dead woman`s family by not celebrating New Year this year, but rather raise their voices against injustices such as rape, besides working for improved security for women.
In a statement, the ABVP said: "It is very unfortunate and sad to hear that our sister, who waged a courageous battle for life died this morning at 4.45 am (2.15 am IST). Attackers assaulted the woman (23-year-old, a paramedical student) and her male companion on a bus on December 16, robbing them of their belongings before dumping them at the side of a road. We as Indians are capable of everything, but our political leadership has failed, because we, as society, have starved it of talent.”
“`Damini` died, but she woke us up to what is horribly wrong in our country. No more we shall participate in a conspiracy of silence. If you want to offer a true tribute to the brave victim of the gang rape - Let`s not attend the New Year Party this year. Let`s call this year 2013 as Women Security Year, This is a turning point in India to stand up and end this menace. Not to tolerate nonsense, not to be indifferent and raise our voice against injustice. Are we ready?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional